I know I haven’t posted in a while, but that pesky RL got in the way. My last post was written before I went to the cottage for the weekend with some friends. We had a blast, it rained a lot but hey, we were inside playing cardgames and catching up after not seeing each other for the whole summer. We returned on Sunday and I login into WoW for a bit and messed around in some BG’s and turned off the computer and went to bed. That morning (Aug 23rd) I gave my mom my computer to take into the shop for a power supply and graphic card upgrade. Later that afternoon our house caught fire.
I was upstairs while my brother was playing PS3 downstairs, I noticed that someone was using the phone so I quickly ran downstairs to see if my brother had been playing with the phone again. On my way down the stairs the smoke alarm went off, I quickly began scouting the basement looking for the sorce of the smoke to see if I could put a stop to it. Once I opened the door to the crawl space under my stairs I saw a wall of smoke. I shoved my bro up the stairs and grabbed the phone to dial the police when all I heard was static. Crap the phone lines ran under the stairs, they were probably melted. I run back down stairs to grab the cell and then into the backyard only wearing my PJ’s and barefoot. I dial 911 and with my brother and two dogs, I start panicking because our two parrots and iguana are still inside.
I walk back to the door and see that the inside of my house was quickly filled with thick, black, toxic smoke. I lean closer to the glass to try to catch a glimpse inside when flames start shooting out the vent. The flames quickly spread to the washer and dryer. The Fire department has already arrived and I’m being questioned by the police (Its protocol as I’m told) as my brother and dogs are whisked away to the neighbour’s house. My aunt arrives and she answers some more of the basic family questions (Mother / father called, birthdays, etc). I see as the fire department are bringing a hatchet to the back to break their way inside. I lose it.
For sure my other pets are dead, no way they survived the smoke. Just then word comes through the iguana is alive! Lucky fire fighters they’re in full gear where the iguana’s claws can’t hurt them. They hand off the freaked out reptile to me and I get my arms sliced to shreds. I’m also told that the parrots didn’t make it. My parents arrive at the scene and the fire is put out. We’re all okay but we’re told that our subpump (remember all that weekend rain?) was the cause of the fire.
I was allowed back inside the next day and it was bad. All the windows are cracked from the heat, our plastic’s are melted, and everything is covered in a layer of soot. It was an electrical fire meaning that the toxic smell is going to be hard to remove. All our insurance / contractor people met and decided that my house has to be taken apart to the frame and have new insulation and new drywall put in. ETA: 6 months. For right now I’m living in a hotel room with my family, my pets are divided up staying with family / friends / vet. We are getting a temporary house at the end of september but for now rooming with the fam.
I posted on my guild website that I might be MIA for a while and they were so . . . I don’t know if I can find a word to describe exactly what I felt when everyone started offering me help. One guildie offered me a quote “When it rains, it pours and this is your monsoon”. She also clarified that while it might seem that the rain constant, it has to stop eventually.
So, thanks for sticking with me in this rain filled time, but I thing I already see a few rays of sunshine poking out from the clouds.